Traditions - General Info Section
Christmas cookies - quick and easy recipe
Christmas cookies - French biscuits de Noël
French always see New Year and Christmas celebrations as a great opportunity for big family reunions around a good meal.
These banquets are also a good excuse to put on a big spread and produce dishes worthy of a king.
Children love baking at Christmas.
They indeed turn the kitchen into a huge experimental field where they create fancy biscuits using cookie-pieces in the shape of Christmas trees, Santas, sugar canes, stockings, stars, moons, snowmen, snowflakes and of course sweet little hearts...
The final touch on their baking masterpieces is achieved with plain and coloured icing sugar and of course sweets of all kinds.
Nothing is spared to produce the most colourful, unusual and delicious Christmas cookies!
Baking Christmas cookies is child’s play (c’est un jeu d’enfant) because the recipe is really easy and quick.
The basic ingredients include traditional aromas and ingredients such as vanilla, orange blossom, ground almonds and lemon or tangerine zests...
However, what makes them different are the various spices we add (ground spices are easier to use) such as cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, aniseed, cloves to name a few.
Ingredients- serves 6
- 250g of self-raising flour
- 100 g of softened butter
- 125 g of sugar (honey is better)
- 50g of ground almonds
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of water
Spices: no more than 4 in order to avoid an overpowering flavour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon aniseed
- lemon or orange or tangerine zest (to taste)
- 1 egg yolk (mixed with a little water)
Preparation - 15 minutes
- Add the flour, sugar or honey, softened butter, egg and ground almonds in a large bowl
- Stir with a wooden spatula
- Add spices (choose 4 according to your taste)
- Knead this dough by hands until it becomes smooth and make a "ball"
- Spread the dough with a roller
- Cut out shapes using the various cookie cutters
- Line an oven tray with grease-proof paper and place the biscuits on it
- Mix the egg yolk with a little water
- Brush the cookies with the diluted egg yolk
Bake for 5-10 minutes in an oven preheated at 200° C (thermostat 6-7)
Baking time varies with the oven, so keep an eye on your biscuits, but they are ready when they have turned golden
Remove them from the oven and let them cool; it can't be easier!