Traditions - General Info
Yule Log – French Bûche de Noël easy recipe
Yule Log easy recipe
Yule Log or Bûche de Noël is the French traditional dessert to end a Christmas banquet.
There are many recipes and variations, but the traditional French Yule Log is a chocolate filled Swiss-roll made from a sponge cake.
The preparation is easy and takes about in 45 minutes in total; about 30mn for the Swiss-roll and about 15mn for the chocolate cream that will be used for the filling and decoration.
It's a good idea to prepare your chocolate cream while the sponge cake is baking in the oven.
Swiss-roll - Sponge cake recipe
Cooking time: 10mn
Ingredients - serves 6
• 75g of softened butter
• 75g of caster sugar
• 3 eggs
• 75g of self raising flour
• Pinch salt
• Icing sugar for the decoration
Preheat oven to 180°C (thermostat 6). 350F/Gas4
Have a grease-proof paper sheet dusted with cater sugar ready on your worktop
• Put the caster sugar and the eggs in a bowl and whisk them together until the mixture is pale
• Add the flour and a pinch of salt while whisking
• Whisk until the mixture is thick enough to leave a trail (add a little hot water if it is too hard)
• Line a Swiss-roll tin (or a baking tray) with grease-proof paper
• Pour the mixture in the tin while tilting it to spread the mixture evenly
• Bake for about 10 minutes until the sponge cake is golden and springy to the touch
• Turn the sponge cake out onto the ready grease-proof sheet and peal off the grease-proof paper used for baking
• Trim the edges with a knife
• Roll up the sponge and the new grease-proof paper together; make sure that the 1st turn is firm
Trick: The sponge must be rolled up when still warm (otherwise it will break)
• Let it cool on a wire rack once rolled up
• Once cool, unroll the sponge
• Spread the chocolate cream filling (recipe below) evenly with a spatula
• Leave a small gap around the edges (otherwise some of the cream will spread out as you roll up your sponge)
• Roll up the sponge, but this time without the grease-proof paper
Time to decorate your chocolate Yule Log!
Chocolate Cream Recipe
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
• 200g of dark chocolate
• 200g of softened butter
• 150g of caster sugar
• 25 cl of crème fraîche (dairy cream)
• Break the chocolate into small pieces and melt it gently in a bain-marie or water bath
(make sure your chocolate doesn’t burn as it would become unusable)
• Off the heat: add the softened butter and whisk thoroughly
• Let this mixture cool
• Put the diary cream in a bowl
• Stir the caster sugar into the cream, then whip the cream into a Chantilly
• Incorporate the Chantilly to the cooled chocolate-butter mixture until it's soft and fluffy
You’ll use this Chantilly-chocolate-butter mixture to fill in the Swiss-roll and decorate it
Once your sponge cake is filled with chocolate cream and rolled up in a Swiss-roll (as explained above):
• Spread the remaining chocolate mixture on top of your Swiss-roll with a pastry bag or/and make tree trunk-like patterns using a fork
• Sprinkle with icing sugar
• Have fun with the decorations of your choice: Christmas tree, father Christmas, mushrooms, holly leaves, snow flake...
Your French Yule Log or Bûche de Noël is ready, but keep it in the refrigerator until serving time.
Sign up to our newsletter
Travel France Online will use the information you provide on this form to keep in touch with you and to provide updates via our newsletter. By selecting the boxes on the form you confirm your acceptance to receive our newsletter.
You can change your mind at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the footer of any email you receive from us, or by contacting us at email@example.com