Traditions - General Info Section
Yule Log – French Bûche de Noël easy recipe
Yule Log easy recipe
Yule Log or Bûche de Noël is the French traditional dessert to end a Christmas banquet.
There are many recipes and variations, but the traditional French Yule Log is a chocolate filled Swiss-roll made from a sponge cake.
The preparation is easy and takes about in 45 minutes in total; about 30mn for the Swiss-roll and about 15mn for the chocolate cream that will be used for the filling and decoration.
It's a good idea to prepare your chocolate cream while the sponge cake is baking in the oven.
Swiss-roll - Sponge cake recipe
Cooking time: 10mn
Ingredients - serves 6
• 75g of softened butter
• 75g of caster sugar
• 3 eggs
• 75g of self raising flour
• Pinch salt
• Icing sugar for the decoration
Preheat oven to 180°C (thermostat 6). 350F/Gas4
Have a grease-proof paper sheet dusted with cater sugar ready on your worktop
• Put the caster sugar and the eggs in a bowl and whisk them together until the mixture is pale
• Add the flour and a pinch of salt while whisking
• Whisk until the mixture is thick enough to leave a trail (add a little hot water if it is too hard)
• Line a Swiss-roll tin (or a baking tray) with grease-proof paper
• Pour the mixture in the tin while tilting it to spread the mixture evenly
• Bake for about 10 minutes until the sponge cake is golden and springy to the touch
• Turn the sponge cake out onto the ready grease-proof sheet and peal off the grease-proof paper used for baking
• Trim the edges with a knife
• Roll up the sponge and the new grease-proof paper together; make sure that the 1st turn is firm
Trick: The sponge must be rolled up when still warm (otherwise it will break)
• Let it cool on a wire rack once rolled up
• Once cool, unroll the sponge
• Spread the chocolate cream filling (recipe below) evenly with a spatula
• Leave a small gap around the edges (otherwise some of the cream will spread out as you roll up your sponge)
• Roll up the sponge, but this time without the grease-proof paper
Time to decorate your chocolate Yule Log!
Chocolate Cream Recipe
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
• 200g of dark chocolate
• 200g of softened butter
• 150g of caster sugar
• 25 cl of crème fraîche (dairy cream)
• Break the chocolate into small pieces and melt it gently in a bain-marie or water bath
(make sure your chocolate doesn’t burn as it would become unusable)
• Off the heat: add the softened butter and whisk thoroughly
• Let this mixture cool
• Put the diary cream in a bowl
• Stir the caster sugar into the cream, then whip the cream into a Chantilly
• Incorporate the Chantilly to the cooled chocolate-butter mixture until it's soft and fluffy
You’ll use this Chantilly-chocolate-butter mixture to fill in the Swiss-roll and decorate it
Once your sponge cake is filled with chocolate cream and rolled up in a Swiss-roll (as explained above):
• Spread the remaining chocolate mixture on top of your Swiss-roll with a pastry bag or/and make tree trunk-like patterns using a fork
• Sprinkle with icing sugar
• Have fun with the decorations of your choice: Christmas tree, father Christmas, mushrooms, holly leaves, snow flake...
Your French Yule Log or Bûche de Noël is ready, but keep it in the refrigerator until serving time.